Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

XP666

New York State Subtractions

Sorry to say that the TurboTax New York State software seems having a problem to recognize income from New York City government. I worked and retired from New York City government. I got the right amount of refund from NYS for 2022, but my local government pension was subtracted on line 29 instead of line 26. So that means if in couple of years when I get RMD there will be no place to subtract my RMD exclusion amount due to my government pension amount occupied line 29 already. So this year, at least the refund amount is correct but some year in the near future, the amount will be wrong. I'm not sure if someone has the same issues. I missed this issue before filing since the bottom line is correct. Now RMD concerning triggered I went back to my tax return then found this issue in the software. The pension 1099 clearly shows the source so shouldn't be on line 29. Hope Turbo Tax software team can see my post and the next year this won't happen when we do New York taxes. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Please clarify and expand upon your question.  There is in the NY allocations a box for both governmental and non-government entries for data from a retirement plan.  Please check that you placed the amount in the proper box.  I have included a screenshot from TurboTax online for the particular item.

I am not saying you did not place the information here, only suggesting you may want to check that particular box to see if it is the same.

@XP666 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo Tax does not recognize  New York State Government Retirement Income, and there is no way to correct it on the form. Therefore the income becomes entirely taxable (except for a $20,000 exclusion) when it should be nontaxable. There is no way to correct it on the form, and this has cost an inordinate amount of wasted time trying to fix it.  This is a serious problem, and you really should refund those users who cannot work with this state software since it has to be done manually.

I cannot find this on any state allocation worksheet.

fitomex

I've also had this problem with Turbotax when entering in the NYC TRS distribution. I believe you have to enter the 1099R taxable distribution into the state section (box 16) when completing the federal income section. (I also had to enter the payer's ID number as well.) You will then have to answer the following questions posed by Turbotax. This should then correctly post the distribution on the correct lines on NYS forms and subtract the full distribution amount. 

I hope this helps.

Frustrated user. 

User45yrs

Using Turbo tax for over 45 yrs and starting 2020 with NYC pension taxable & nontaxable they have not got it right.  Had to pay addition taxes and interest. Now I am going back and redoing my taxes>

Bummer!

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify the issue you are having so we can assist you further?

@User45yrs 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies