Form 1040-V (Payment Voucher), is an optional form that you can include with your check payment if you owe the IRS at the time of filing.
- If you're paper-filing and are paying via check, we'll include the 1040-V with your tax return printout, along with mailing instructions
- If you chose to pay via check and are e-filing, we'll prepare your 1040-V right after you e-file so you can print it out
- There's no need to print a 1040-V if you're paying your taxes via direct debit or credit card
- On installment agreements, or if you're unable to generate a 1040-V in TurboTax, you can download the form and mailing instructions
- You can also omit the 1040-V altogether if you make sure your name, address, Social Security number or ITIN, tax year, related tax form number (ex: Form 1040), and daytime phone number are on the check
Don't include a copy of your 1040 when you mail your 1040-V with payment.