TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I file Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets?

SOLVEDby TurboTax1000Updated January 13, 2024

Filing Form 8938 is only available to those using TurboTax Deluxe or higher. To get to the 8938 section in TurboTax, refer to the following instructions:

  1. Open or continue your return if you're not already in it.
  2. Search for 8938 and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. On the Foreign Financial Assets screen, select Yes, I have foreign financial assets.
  4. Answer yes or no to living in a foreign country, and select Continue.
  5. Answer yes or no to amount of foreign financial assets, and select Continue.
  6. Carefully follow the instructions. If you need Form 8938, we'll fill it out for you.

Note: Foreign real estate isn't considered a foreign financial asset, nor are foreign investments (if owned through a U.S. brokerage or listed on a U.S. exchange) or money in a foreign branch of a U.S. bank. Form 8938 isn't required in these situations.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads