TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I file a substitute W-2 using Form 4852?

by Intuit Updated 5 months ago

You can file a conventional paper return that includes IRS Form 4852 if you haven't been able to get a W-2 from your employer. Here's how to fill one out:

  1. Open or continue your return and search for W-2. Select the Jump to link in the search results to go to the W-2 entry screen.
  2. Fill out your W-2 using the information from your last pay stub.
  3. Answer any questions until you get to Let's check for uncommon situations.
  4. Check the box next to Didn't get a W-2 and select Continue.
  5. On the Let's check if you need a substitute W-2 screen, select Yes then Continue.
  6. Answer the follow-up questions. Select Print to download and print your IRS Form 4852.

Note: Returns including Form 4852 can't be e-filed because of IRS regulations.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads