If you started your 2020, 2021, or 2022 return in TurboTax Online but weren't able to file it before the shutdown, you can finish and paper-file it in the TurboTax Desktop software for PC or Mac.
Start by purchasing and downloading the software and install it on your computer. If you're also filing state taxes, be sure to download and install the corresponding state program (PC instructions | Mac instructions).
- Now sign in at TurboTax.com using the same credentials you used to prepare your prior-year return and select Continue on the first screen.
- If you don't remember your credentials, try account recovery. Still no luck? Then just start over in the TurboTax software you downloaded and skip the rest of these instructions.
- On the second screen showing product and pricing, scroll down and select Your tax returns & documents.
- Select Download .tax file (not the PDF) for the prior year you want and save it to your computer.
- If the year you're looking for isn't there, it might be in a different account. Go here to find all of your accounts. One of them should have the return you're looking for.
- Back in the TurboTax Desktop software, select Find a Tax File, and then browse to the tax data file you downloaded in the previous step.
- Select the file and select Open.
- You can now finish up in the software. Your return will need to be paper-filed, as e-filing prior years is no longer available.