TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

About your W-2 and self-employment

SOLVEDby TurboTaxUpdated 2 weeks ago
  • Your W-2 also shows the amount of federal, state, and other taxes withheld from your paycheck, which explains why it’s such an important document for filing your taxes.
  • You should get your paper or electronic W-2 no later than Jan 31 following the close of the tax year, which is usually Dec 31.
  • You can upload your W-2 right here in Full Service so that your tax expert can use it to prepare your taxes.
  • Keep in mind that you should only get a W-2 if you’re an employee.
  • If you’re an independent contractor or self-employed, the work you do may be the same as an employee, but you’ll probably receive a Form 1099 from your employer instead. Self-employed income is the money you make from any contract, freelance, or self-employed work you’ve done throughout the tax year. This may include work for on-demand services (like Uber or Taskrabbit) or home-based businesses. You may receive a Form 1099-NEC, Form 1099-MISC, or Form 1099-K from the person or business that paid you, or you may have documented this income some other way.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads