You can enter your W-2 into TurboTax both manually and via automatic import from over a million employers. An overview of this process can be found in the video provided.
For you to import your W-2 directly from your employer into TurboTax, the following things are required:
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner
- Your W-2 must be available for import (most are ready by February 1)
- We need the Box 1 amount from your W-2 or the year-to-date (YTD) gross income from your year-end pay stub
- In some cases, we may need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires it
Additionally, the instructions from the video can be found by selecting your version of TurboTax here, then following the steps provided.
- Sign in and continue your return
- Select the magnifying glass, search for W-2 and select the Jump to link
- Select Work on my W-2 and Continue
- If you've already entered a W-2 or need to add another one, select Add another W-2
- Enter your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from Box b on your W-2
- If your W-2 can be imported, you'll come to the Great news! We can automatically import your W-2 info screen. Answer the questions to complete your import
- If TurboTax doesn't recognize your EIN you can use the TurboTax mobile app to snap a photo of your W-2, upload it from your computer, or fill it in yourself
- Open your return
- Select Search, search for W-2, and select the Jump to link
- (On Mac: Select the Federal Taxes tab, then select Wages & Income)
- On the Let's get your W-2 info screen, select Work on my W-2 and Continue
- If you've already entered a W-2 or need to add another, select Add another W-2
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, and select Continue
- If your employer is a TurboTax partner, we'll say Great News! We Can Enter Your W-2 for You and lead you through the steps to import your W-2
- If TurboTax doesn't recognize your EIN you can fill in your W-2 info yourself.