TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How does my side job affect my taxes?

SOLVEDby TurboTax426Updated October 02, 2023

You're considered self-employed—even if it’s just something you do on the side, like drive for Uber, babysit, or blog.

Your taxes are handled differently than when you're an employee of a company.

As a self-employed individual you:

  • Will pay self-employment tax (because income tax, Social Security, and Medicare aren’t deducted from your pay)
  • Will get a 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, or 1099-K (unless you only accept cash or personal checks)
  • File a Schedule C, Form 1040 (this is how you report business expense or loss of income)
  • Can deduct money you spent on work-related expenses (like mileage, home office expenses, and mobile phone use)
  • Can estimate the taxes that are due and make quarterly estimated tax payments during the year

Get started by entering your income from self-employment. We'll handle the rest, from creating the forms you need to reviewing work-related expenses that can help reduce your taxes.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads