TurboTax Desktop Error Message, "A secure connection is necessary to keep your information safe."
TurboTax works hard to safeguard your information so you can file your taxes confidently. For example, when we electronically send your return to the IRS or state agencies, we use SSL encryption. When establishing a secure connection, if the encryption is not strong enough, TurboTax will stop the connection. A secure connection is necessary to keep your information safe.
If you face this error in TurboTax Desktop please try the following solutions:
- Check Encryption in your web browser
- Open your browser and navigate to the TurboTax Website: https://turbotax.intuit.com/
- If the browser shows an error, it is likely your connection is not secure. Please follow the troubleshooting guide for your browser [Firefox | Chrome | Internet Explorer]
- If the browser error goes away, go back to TurboTax and try connecting again.
- Verify that the system data and time are up-to-date
- Please make sure that the date and time settings on your computer are correct.
- You may find the steps in this Microsoft Windows support page.
- Do You Connect to the Internet via a Wi-Fi Portal? (Whats a Wi-Fi Portal?)
- Please make sure you are logged into your Wi-Fi portal so you are on the internet
- If you are logged in go back to TurboTax and try connecting again
- Update Windows
- Please make sure your Windows operating system is up-to-date using Windows Update
- Temporarily Disable SSL Scanning by your AntiVirus/Firewall
- If your antivirus or firewall program has a feature to scan/protect SSL connections, temporarily turn it OFF to see if it fixes the connection issue with TurboTax Desktop
- You may need to look through your antivirus/firewall vendor program's help to see how to do this. Here are a few helpful links:
- Please remember to turn SSL scanning back ON when you're done using TurboTax
If none of the steps above work, please contact TurboTax Support.