TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
1137 people found this useful

Where do I enter an SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, or SSA-1099-R-OP1?

Forms SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM, and SSA-1099-R-OP1 report retirement, disability, and survivor benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Don't confuse the SSA-1099 with the 1099-R that reports retirement benefits from non-SSA sources like pensions, 401(k)s, and IRAs. 1099-Rs are entered elsewhere in TurboTax.

All SSA-1099 forms get entered in the same place:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for the term social security benefits and then click or tap the "Jump to" link at the top of your search results.
  3. On the Social Security Benefits screen, answer Yes and click or tap Continue
  4. Check the first box, then enter the amounts from your form(s) where indicated.
    • If you received multiple SSA-1099s, add up the amounts for each box.
    • Do not include SSA-1099s for dependents; those should be reported on the dependent's return, but only if he or she is required to file a return (this is uncommon). More info
  5. Click or tap Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

We'll calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable. If your only income is from Social Security, you probably don't make enough money to be required to file a return.