, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Firewall and virus- or spyware-protection programs protect your computer from potential harm by guarding against unauthorized actions by programs on your computer.
However, if your firewall blocks TurboTax software's Internet access, you won't be able to e-file, download state programs, or get the latest program updates
In some cases, security software may misinterpret the actions of legitimate programs (like TurboTax). The security software could then block Internet access and/or installation.
To prevent or resolve this conflicts:
- Download the latest updates from your software's support site.
- Adjust the settings or rules on your security software to allow selected programs (like TurboTax) to install and function as intended.
Firewall software resources
Most firewalls ask you for permission when an "unknown" program attempts to connect to the Internet. If you previously told your firewall to block TurboTax, your firewall will continue to do so until you add it to the list of "allowed" programs. With some cases, you may need to add TurboTax ports and addresses to the firewall's list.
Advanced users running Windows can also manually configure firewall software by adding these processes as exceptions to Windows Firewall or other installed firewall software:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdater.exe
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
These resources may help you resolve issues with your particular firewall. Remember to always run the latest version of your firewall program and keep it fully up-to-date.
Virus- and spyware-protection software sites
For current instructions on how to configure or update your security software, visit the manufacturer's website (below) or refer to your product documentation.
- Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows Updating Issues
- Ports and Addresses Used by TurboTax
- Check Your Router
- How to Disable Your Virus-Protection Software
- Error Code 18953690245 when uninstalling TurboTax