Transfer last year's return into 2016 TurboTax for Mac
Save time and effort by transferring last year's tax return into 2016 TurboTax for Mac.
You can transfer last year's return from TurboTax (.tax2015 file),
You can also transfer a PDF of last year's return if you used other tax software, or an accountant or tax service. More info
If you successfully e-filed your return last year, we'll even transfer your e-file signature so you won't have to re-enter your PIN or AGI.
- In TurboTax 2016, choose File > New Tax Return.
- Select Use a tax return that's on my computer, select your return from the list, and then click Continue.
- If your file is not listed, lick the Find your tax return link to locate the file. When you find it, make sure it has the .tax2015 file name extension. If not, rename the file so it has this extension.
- Still can't find it? It might be on another computer. Click here for instructions to move your return to a new computer.
- Click Continue to review the transferred information. You can also review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.
Please note, once you've gone past the Transfer screens, you can't revisit them. If you need to re-transfer, start fresh with a new return by following the steps above.
- On your Windows computer, find last year's tax file and copy it to a removable device like a thumb drive or flash drive.
- On your Mac, copy the tax file from the flash drive to your desktop.
- Open TurboTax for Mac and choose File > New Tax Return.
- TurboTax will search for 2015 tax return files on your computer and should find it. If not, click the Find your tax return link, browse to your desktop, and select the file.
- Wait for TurboTax to finish transferring the information over.
You can then review transferred information and add, edit, or delete items as necessary. More info.
If you have a copy of your 2015 Online return in .tax2015 data file format, just follow the first set of instructions above.
If you don't, use this workaround:
- Go to turbotax.com and start a 2016 Online return using the same login you used last year. This will transfer your 2015 data over.
- In TurboTax Online, click Tools, and then select Save your 2016 return to your computer.
- Browse to where you can easily find the saved file, such as your Desktop.
- (Optional) Change the default name to something more meaningful, for example J Doe 2016 Tax Return.
- Click Save.
Now, open the .tax2016 file (which contains the transferred 2015 info) in TurboTax for Mac:
- Open your TurboTax 2016 program.
- From the TurboTax menu, select Open Tax Return.
- Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file in step 5 above, select it, and then click Open.
- (Optional) Review, edit, or delete the transferred information.
If you used other tax software, or an accountant or tax service last year and you have a PDF of your return, here is information and instructions on transferring your return.