, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
This article describes how to download your Online return as a tax file (filename extension .tax2013) so you can open your return in the TurboTax CD/Download software.
Downloading your tax file is optional. However, taking a few seconds to download your Online return as a tax file may save you considerable time and frustration later on, as you'll need your tax file to:
- Amend your 2013 return after TurboTax Online shuts down for the year, so you don't have to re-create your original return from scratch.
- Transfer your work if you decide to switch to the 2013 TurboTax CD/Download version;
- Transfer your 2013 tax return data if you decide to use the TurboTax CD/Download software to do your 2014 taxes.
- PDF copies of your Online return cannot be opened or read by the TurboTax software. More info
- After TurboTax Online shuts down in mid-October, you won't be able to download your current-year tax data file using the instructions below.
- Sign in to TurboTax Online 2013 (available December 2), if you're not already signed in.
- On the left side of your screen, click Tools. (Don't see the side menu on the left? Click here for help.)
- Select Save your 2013 return to your computer.
- Select Save As so you can browse to where you want to save the file, such as your Desktop.
- (Optional) Change the default filename (taxReturn) to something recognizeable, for example J Doe 2013 Online Tax Return.
- Click Save.
If you make changes to your Online return after downloading your data file, repeat these steps to ensure that your data file stays in-synch with your Online data.
For instructions on how to open your tax file in the TurboTax software, click here.
Protect your tax return data file
Once you save a copy of your tax return on your computer or flash drive, be sure to protect the sensitive information in your tax return.
Actions you can take include:
- Downloading and installing the latest updates for Windows or Mac;
- Keeping your firewall on at all times;
- Installing and running up-to-date virus- and spyware-protection software;
- Ensuring that sensitive files are stored in a location where they cannot be shared;
- Moving your tax file off your computer and onto a secured storage device;
- Password-protecting your tax file for an additional layer of security.
- Save Your 2013 TurboTax Online Return as a PDF
- Tax data files vs. PDF files
- Retrieve a Tax File from a Portable Device