TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
5202 people found this useful

How do I save my 2017 TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?

Instructions

This article describes how to download your 2017 TurboTax Online return as a tax data file (filename extension .tax2017).

Saving your tax file is optional. However, we recommend that you take a few seconds to do this, as your tax data file may come in handy after TurboTax Online shuts down.

1. Sign in to your online return, if you're not already signed in and choose Take me to my return.
  2. Select the Tax Tools  menu on the left menu bar then select Tools .
  3. In the pop-up Tools Center window, select Save your return to your computer.
  4. The file will automatically be downloaded to your default downloads folder or you will be prompted to direct where to save your file.
  5. Change the default filename (taxReturn) to something recognizable, for example J Doe 2017 Tax Return before you click Save.

Your online return has now been saved in a format can be opened in the TurboTax software.

If you make any changes to your Online return after saving your tax data file, repeat these steps to ensure that your tax file stays synched-up with your online tax return.

GEN85507