Where do I find Form 8606?
We'll automatically generate Form 8606 (Nondeductible IRAs) if you reported:
- Nondeductible contributions made to a traditional IRA;
- Distributions from a traditional, SEP or SIMPLE IRA that had nondeductible contributions (excluding rollovers, conversions, recharacterizations, qualified charitable distributions, one-time distribution to fund an HSA, or return of certain contributions);
- Conversions from a traditional, SEP, or SIMPLE IRA to a Roth IRA; or
- Distributions from a Roth IRA (other than rollovers, recharacterizations, or a return of certain contributions).
Tip: On joint returns, 8606-T and 8606-S denotes that the 8606 belongs to the taxpayer (first person listed on the return) and spouse, respectively.
If you know you need Form 8606, here's how you make sure TurboTax generates one:
- Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
- Inside TurboTax, search for this exact phrase, including the comma (you can copy/paste from here): 8606, nondeductible ira contributions
- Select the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- Proceed through the IRA interview, answering questions as you go.
- When you reach the screen Any nondeductible contributions to [name's] IRA? select Yes, then select Continue.