TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
837 people found this useful

Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

Yes, the IRS will allows tax returns for deceased taxpayers (also called decedent returns) to be e-filed.

Before you file a decedent return, make sure the Social Security Administration has been notified of the taxpayer's death. You can either go to their website or call 1-800-772-1213.

Many (but not all) states allow decedent tax returns to be e-filed as well. We'll let you know when you get ready to e-file the state return.