Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Mar 23, 2021 1:20:27 PM

"Turbo Tax not responding"

Turbo Tax Premier, MACBOOK Pro, Big Sur.  I am in the income statement section, third section. When I ask for the next section, I get TurboTax not responding message.  I tried on a MacBook Air running prior OS X,  same results.  There are several such complaints on this forum, but all seem to be on Windows.  I did the latest program update just prior to continuing then ran into the issue.   Tried quitting Turbo Tax, saving, two different computers, shut down ,  reboot, same results.  there appears to be a software issue with Turbo Tax.  Need help. 

1 36 2700
24 Replies
Level 15
Mar 23, 2021 1:23:46 PM

Exactly what  section?    What it the name on the top of the screen?

Level 2
Mar 23, 2021 2:15:00 PM

Wages and income.  I do the next income  section button at the bottom  right of the screen and get the spinning wheel.  I found a workaround by just going to the select what you want to de rather than walk me thru everything, but there is an apparent bug .

Level 2
Mar 26, 2021 9:30:17 AM

Wages and income.   I fund a work around -go to you chose what to work on.  I note there is a new update I just received and installed and maybe that fixed it,I hope,  Have not tried t yet.

I posted an answer yesterday, why it does not show I do not know.

Mar 27, 2021 12:35:00 PM

I have the same issue. Just cannot go to the "next income section".

Thank you for letting me know that I do not need to choose walk me through everything.

May 11, 2021 4:46:12 PM

I am having the same problem.   Is there a fix released?  Tax deadline is approaching.

May 12, 2021 6:10:03 AM

I have updated, Uninstaller, cleared cache, updated computer software and nothing works.  I am not able to go past section 4 of income without it saying it is not responding.  I spent an entire day updating everything with no resolve.  HELP 

Level 2
Nov 27, 2021 10:04:14 AM

I did not have the problem with 2020, I"m having a problem with 2021 turbo tax premier.  I'm using the same laptop as last year, I meet the system requirements.  It is taking me 20-25 minutes per W2-G form with only entering the bare amount needed.  When ever I tab or click to a new field I get the non-responding message.  This is flat out ridiclous. 

Returning Member
Jan 7, 2022 4:36:59 PM

I am also inputing W2Gs of which I have 32 and each one is taking about 5 minutes. Each block takes 15-20 seconds to load and then the program will freeze with (not responding) and will have to wait until it starts again. I have used TTax for 30 years and this is the first time this has happened. Company should fix and replace for no cost!!!!

Returning Member
Jan 7, 2022 4:41:49 PM

Tabberone, have you received any info on how to fix or any assistance from mfg? I have TTax Deluxe and am having same problem.

Level 2
Jan 7, 2022 4:42:21 PM

I could live with 5 minutes.

After a month the response I got was to go to forms, delete all the forms entered, close program, reopen and make sure all updates are done then reenter the forms.  I opted not to do that.

Level 2
Jan 7, 2022 4:43:22 PM

To clarify, I opted not to do it because I had entered all the forms I had.  Hopefully don't have this issue with any of the other forms in the program.

Jan 13, 2022 6:24:19 PM

Oscar195050 - I have the exact same issue, also with a high number of W-2G entries to make.  Painfully slow.  TurboTax support has no record of any complaint - suggesting that it is my PC, but I do meet all threshold requirements.

I have about 2/3 of the forms entered - guess I will continue to endure the process and HOPE that no other section is the same.  I also am a long time TurboTax Deluxe CD user - first real issue incurred.....

Expert Alumni
Jan 14, 2022 5:21:59 AM

If several of the W2G's are from the same company you can simply combine those and enter as one.  You would leave the cashier and dates blank. 

Level 2
Jan 17, 2022 8:21:36 PM

I have over 100 W2G’s to load into TT. Each one of them are taking almost 20 minutes to load. Same laptop that I used last year and meets all requirements. I’m screaming! 

Intuit Alumni
Jan 18, 2022 7:42:19 AM

Please refer to the post by Vanessa3 above first. If you continue to have issues, please contact TurboTax support below for assistance.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Intuit  

Jan 18, 2022 4:52:48 PM

I've been a user of H&R Block software for years and decided to try TurboTax this year.  I'm very sorry I did!  I have many W2G's to enter and the program is horribly slow!  I'm at the point of each field on the screen takes almost a minute to fill in and move to the next.  I'm about ready to dispute the credit card charge and go back to H&R Block.

Returning Member
Jan 24, 2022 2:48:12 PM

Having the exact same issue as others with the W-2G section of TurboTax Premiere.  Running it on a mac with the required OS and much more than the recommended amount of RAM.  When moving from one field to the other in East Step the program freezes for a period.  When I have the Activity Monitor open when the program freezes the Activity Monitor says TurboTax not responding.  If I switch the "Forms" I can enter the data quickly and easily, but, you have to go back to East Step to "confirm" your address or the entry is flagged as "needs review."  Never had this problem any other year with TurboTax. Like others on here, I have a large number of W-2Gs to enter and the delay caused by the program is making data entry much hard that ever before.  That this has been going on for months without resolution by Intuit is vexing.

Level 2
Jan 24, 2022 4:54:48 PM

Their response to me was to delete all the forms, close the program, reopen Turbo Tax and reenter the information.  I started entering in November, for people who started later and are having a problem is telling me their "fix" doesn't work because people will have had the updates installed.  

Makes me want to start looking around for another program to use next year.  And this is using turbo tax at least 25 years.  First year with this issue.

Level 2
Feb 12, 2022 7:58:34 AM

I have the same issue, each entry takes over 6 minutes to complete getting slower after each w2g, Turbotax keeps saying it is the computer, Did TT on same computer for the last 3 years, no issues. Did a factory reset, no change, downloaded and restarted 3 times, no difference.  impossible to get any answers from TT.  How can they not see the problem, it is not an isolated  issue.  Getting answers or hold of someone is impossible. 

Level 2
Feb 12, 2022 12:58:20 PM

TT's suggestion was to go to Forms, delete all your entries, shutdown TT then restart it. I had already spent tons of time entering the forms so I didn't do that.  I could have lived with 6 minutes.  Towards the end it was taking close to an hour per form. And that's with entering the least amount of information I could get away with.

Thinking about another program next year.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 12, 2022 2:18:59 PM

Were you able to finish and get the return completed @tabberone?

Feb 12, 2022 6:09:15 PM

I had same issue, could not resolve the issue using guided entry.  IF you switch to FORMS view to enter W-G info, it should be faster -- at least that is what I experienced

Level 2
Feb 13, 2022 4:47:59 AM

After spending days and days I got them entered.

No problem with any of the other areas on turbo tax.

Returning Member
Feb 13, 2022 7:35:48 AM

As a follow-up to an earlier post, I uninstalled TT, deleted the tax forms I had been working on, made a fresh install, uploaded all updates before starting over reentering all data fresh.  After about 25 W-2Gs, the program started to hang again.  Getting slower the more forms I enter.   Again, all other sections of the program work fine, just enter W2G data is ridiculously slow.