Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 5, 2021 7:11:07 AM

Tax form rejected for invalid zip code. Zip code is valid but review will not accept it.

Turbo Tax will not let me continue with my return because in the review stage it claims one of my 1099-R forms has an invalid zip code. In review I verified the zip was entered exactly as stated on the 1099-R. Review stage would still not accept it. I tried again by reentering the zip using the acceptable formats but no matter what I try it keeps getting flagged for an invalid zip code. I googled the zip code and it is valid. any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank You

0 28 5606
24 Replies
Level 15
Feb 5, 2021 7:18:48 AM

Delete the Form 1099-R and re-enter manually.

Enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

Mar 16, 2021 2:59:37 PM

I also have the same issue.  USPS search verifies correct zip code.  Called TIAA and they also verified correct zip code.  Adding 4 digets or deleting zip code also does not work.  Please fix this or tell me what to do next.  Cannot file when TT shows an error.  Address for TIAA is 8500 Andrew Carnegie Blve, Charlotte, NC 28262.

Expert Alumni
Mar 16, 2021 3:21:56 PM

You may receive a message like:

ZIP code is invalid for Electronic Filing. You must enter a valid ZIP code for your state. Enter a correct ZIP code in this format 'nnnnn' or 'nnnnn-nnnn'

TurboTax follows the IRS guidelines for acceptable ZIP codes. If the two-letter state abbreviation doesn't match the ZIP code, you'll receive this error when attempting to e-file.

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2021 6:48:05 PM

I tried entering the info manually and it still won't let me e-file

Level 15
Apr 15, 2021 6:53:34 PM

@ALBAK  What is the city, state and zipcode?

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2021 6:56:45 PM

100 Magellan Way KW1C

Covington, KY   [social security number removed]

Level 15
Apr 15, 2021 7:02:34 PM

The correct zip for that address is 41015.  Try deleting the KW1C next to the street name.

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2021 7:09:03 PM

Thats the zip I'm using, still rejects it. The address is exactly as per the 1099 that I received from the payer.  [social security number removed] is the zip that turbotax rejects.

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2021 7:15:17 PM

1987 is behind the zip of 41015.  I also tried dropping the KW1C and it still rejects it.

Expert Alumni
Apr 16, 2021 3:34:40 PM

Try dropping the 1987 instead.  If you can't get this resolved, also make sure that your program is updated.  If all of the above is not resolving it, call into customer service, as from this forum our customer service for an issue like this is limited to suggesting what might work, but we don't have access to your program.

Returning Member
Apr 16, 2021 6:25:20 PM

Program has been updated.  I also tried dropping the last four digits from the 9 digit zip code, still rejected.  Can't help but say I'm pretty disappointed, have used turbotax for years never once had a problem.

Returning Member
Apr 16, 2021 6:30:19 PM

Pretty sure a company like Fidelity would put the right address and zip code on there 1099.

Level 15
Apr 16, 2021 6:33:16 PM

@ ALBAK 

TurboTax can at times say there is a "zip code" error when it's actually something else wrong with the address causing it to mismatch.

Be sure you're not using any punctuation in the address (except for perhaps the hyphen in the zip + four, if choose to use the 4).  In a comment above you typed a comma in the address.  Be sure you didn't enter the comma into TurboTax.  And be sure that nothing in the address is misspelled.

Returning Member
Apr 16, 2021 7:39:19 PM

Trust me, I typed it in just as it is on the 1099. I printed out the return and mailed it in.  With the one error/rejection turbotax would not let me e-file.

Expert Alumni
Apr 16, 2021 7:58:04 PM

@ALBAK  I strongly recommend you contact customer support.  In this public forum we can't see your return or inputs, nor are we aware of any widespread issue with what you are experiencing.  Clearly you are having an issue, but it is very difficult to diagnose this from this public forum.  Please try to contact customer service, as they have additional resources to help find out what's happening:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

Feb 8, 2022 2:18:12 PM

I had the same issue with the zip code rejecting. I was double-checking everything and it all seemed to be correct. I had scanned the 1099 forms and uploaded to Turbotax. My wife finally noticed my anxiety and pointed out that Des Moines was in Iowa not in Indiana where the scan had misread the 2 digit state code. Once I changed the state code I was finally able to e-file. Make sure to check those details. There's a IRS list of approved zip codes @Standard Postal Service State Abbreviations and ZIP Codes.

Feb 14, 2022 5:46:20 PM

I have the same problem. Calling support led to an email directing me to this post. I'm using

TransAmerica Retirement Solutions

6400 C Street SW

Cedar Rapids IN 52499

All of that information is valid and cross validated from the TrasAmerica website, USPS, Opengov.us

I tried deleting the 1099-R and starting over twice. Once on my own, and once at the request of customer service after clearing cache and cookies. No luck, it's an app problem, not a user/browser/OS problem 

Level 15
Feb 14, 2022 8:39:42 PM

@ rrseverson 

I see what's causing the error.  The address you posted above says Cedar Rapids, IN (Indiana).   Cedar Rapids is in IOWA (IA).    I looked up that address with the USPS zip code tool, and it confirms that address and zip code 52499 are in IOWA (IA).  You need to correct the state abbreviation.   That's what is causing the zip code mismatch.

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm

Apr 14, 2022 12:46:33 PM

I also had this problem.  I'm pretty sure Turbotax is rejecting zip codes that start with zero.  I substituted my home zip code (which starts with a 4) for the zip code provided by the financial institution and it was accepted.  And since I am in Michigan and the company is in New Jersey it is obviously an incorrect zip code for the company.  They seem to only be doing format checking (incorrectly).

Apr 14, 2022 12:59:33 PM

I also had the same problem.  Turbo tax is incorrectly identifying any zip code that starts with 0 as invalid.  When I substituted my home zip code (that starts with a 4) for the company zip code (thats starts with a 0) turbotax accepted it.  And it is not the correct zip code for the company.  They need to fix this but I can't figure out how to get in touch with anyone to report it.  If anyone knows how to tell them about this error in their code, please do.

Level 15
Apr 14, 2022 3:42:12 PM

@bevory 

TurboTax can at times say there is a "zip code" error when it's actually something else wrong with the address causing it to mismatch, such as an error with the street, city, state abbreviation, etc.   All of those can produce a "zip code" error.

Many users mistakenly have entered the wrong state abbreviation, which is easy to do for similar ones, such as  AK, AL, AR, AZ or MA, ME, MI, MO,  or ID, IN, IA, IL, etc.  That can produce a "zip code error".

Also, TurboTax sometimes doesn't like punctuation.   If there is punctuation, try omitting it as in this example:

1234 N Saint Marys Ave  instead of 1234 N. St. Mary's Ave.

And most importantly, be sure to check for the official USPS styling of the address using this tool:

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm

It will not only show the proper zip code, but will also show how the specific address should be officially styled.

Finally, in some metro areas with several smaller suburbs, the post office for a suburb might actually have the name of an adjacent suburb.   But again, using that USPS tool above to confirm the official address should sort that out.

Apr 15, 2022 9:12:27 AM

Interesting idea but, then, why is my home zip code (in Michigan) accepted as the correct zip code on a 1099 for a company in New Jersey?

Level 15
Apr 15, 2022 6:00:36 PM

@bevory wrote:

Interesting idea but, then, why is my home zip code (in Michigan) accepted as the correct zip code on a 1099 for a company in New Jersey?

I don't know.  A number of quirky things can happen in TurboTax with addresses.   It's often hard to comment on anything anecdotally.  

You previously wrote:  "Turbo tax is incorrectly identifying any zip code that starts with 0 as invalid."

I don't think it's possible to make a broad statement without more instances.  Granted, I don't read every post in the forum, but I see quite a few.  If TurboTax had a problem with any zip code starting with 0, that would be an incredible number of folks--i.e., TurboTax users in CT, ME, MA, VT, NJ, NH, RI, etc.-   Zip code errors do show up occasionally in the user forum, but scattered around the country.  But people only post here if they have a problem.   I haven't seen any big cluster from any particular states.  Granted, I don't see all forum posts, but the forum is searchable.   TurboTax Support might know if they are getting an unusual number of zip-code calls for those states named above with a zip code starting with 0.

I'm a fellow user.  I don't work for TurboTax.  If you wish to discuss it with the folks at TurboTax Support to see how they explain it, and to report your experience, here's how to reach them:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Mar 9, 2023 5:27:17 PM

same problem here, no way around it.  You'd think that if turbo tax "knows" it's the wrong zip code that it must have a zip code it's comparing to.  couldn't you just tell us what you have for the zip???