Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 3:05:41 PM

Mail my return not e-file. how do I change that on my return?

0 1 277
1 Best answer
Jun 4, 2019 3:05:43 PM

If your return has not been filed AND accepted by the IRS, then you can change how you file. To do so:

• Log into your online account; click on Take Me to My Return if it doesn't come up automatically
  • *If you are at a point where you can no longer click on Take Me to My Return, scroll down to the section, Some Things You Can Do. Click on Add a State (you won't really be adding a state but doing so will allow you to get back into your return).
  • Once you are back into your return, click on the File tab. You'll see a screen with Steps 1-3.
  • Click Revisit/Start next to Step 3 to change your filing option (you may also want to go through Step 1-2 to make sure your information is correct. Once your return is submitted & accepted, you won't be able to make any changes)
  • Here at Step 3, you'll be able to change your filing option to File By Mail. You'll be prompted with instructions on how to print and mail in your return.

1 Replies
Jun 4, 2019 3:05:43 PM

If your return has not been filed AND accepted by the IRS, then you can change how you file. To do so:

• Log into your online account; click on Take Me to My Return if it doesn't come up automatically
  • *If you are at a point where you can no longer click on Take Me to My Return, scroll down to the section, Some Things You Can Do. Click on Add a State (you won't really be adding a state but doing so will allow you to get back into your return).
  • Once you are back into your return, click on the File tab. You'll see a screen with Steps 1-3.
  • Click Revisit/Start next to Step 3 to change your filing option (you may also want to go through Step 1-2 to make sure your information is correct. Once your return is submitted & accepted, you won't be able to make any changes)
  • Here at Step 3, you'll be able to change your filing option to File By Mail. You'll be prompted with instructions on how to print and mail in your return.