Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:44:44 PM

How to add dependent?

Trying to add my son so I can claim him and it will not let me

0 4 2230
1 Best answer
Jun 7, 2019 3:44:46 PM

How do I add or remove a dependent?

If you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for personal information and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to add or remove a dependent.

4 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:44:46 PM

How do I add or remove a dependent?

If you need to revisit the Dependents section in TurboTax Online, here's what you do:

1. Open (continue) your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Search for personal information and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to add or remove a dependent.

Apr 22, 2020 1:07:00 PM

how i can to add my son as dependent

Feb 22, 2022 9:03:29 AM

How do I add a dependent the other parent claimed even though I have an agreement stating I get this year and he does not have her half the time 

Expert Alumni
Feb 22, 2022 9:23:42 AM

To add a dependent you will go to the personal info scroll down below your name and click add a dependent.

If he already claimed her as a dependent on your return you will need to print and mail your return.  If you try to e-file, your return will be rejected for duplicate use of a dependent.  When you print and mail your return, the IRS will use the Tie Breaker Rules to determine the parent that gets to claim her.  

If she lived with you for more than 6 months out of the year, you will likely be the one that gets to claim her and she will be removed from his return.