Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 5
posted Mar 24, 2024 7:52:43 AM

How do I reinstall the program so it works?

I'm part way through my return. However, I noticed Federal wasn't calculating correctly. I attempted to add info to see if I could get it to work. Then, I found I couldn't remove that information. I decided to reinstall. The program is telling me to install a state, but it stalls. Now what?

0 2 400
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 24, 2024 8:03:34 AM

Every computer has a unique combination of components, settings, programs, services, and users. This means TurboTax can install and run flawlessly on one computer, but another computer's configuration can cause conflicts when installing, launching, or running TurboTax.

This article troubleshoots the more common causes of installation failures or errors when running TurboTax.  Use the link below for troubleshooting steps.

Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

Level 5
Mar 24, 2024 10:05:35 AM

Thank you. However, didn't cover the issue. The program kept asking me to download a state return. However, it would just hang. I had to first delete last years Turbotax app because I felt it might have been conflicting. Then I had to delete the 2023 app. I had to go in to my search on the computer and search for .tax2023 and Turbotax2023 and delete com.files, plist files. I moved the document out of my computer and renamed it. The program then searched for the document that I could NOT get out of the system. Then it found the new one, with the name that wouldn't work and hung. So, I had to remove everything again. I had to create a new return, starting from scratch and it finally let me start again after I reinstalled it again (this is now over 2 hrs of work). However, the program couldn't find last year's .tax2022 and it populated from a test .tax2022. So, I now am in my THIRD return (out of five) and fortunately I was able to download the one I had started after I got through all this so I am able to reenter some information. Of course, since TT never actually saves all the work documents with all the info that has been entered, I can't repopulate everything. But, at least I think I may be able to get this done. 

It all started because the "tax due" on the federal was completely erroneous.