Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 7:47:11 PM

How do i change from self employed to unemployed?

In 2015 I was self employed. I am now unemployed. How,do I change this?

0 5 1420
1 Best answer
Jun 4, 2019 7:47:12 PM

In the Personal Info section of your return, you can enter "unemployed" under Occupation. If you received "unemployment compensation", enter that in the income section. You may be able to use Clear & Start Over to change your TurboTax product, if you were automatically put into the Self-Employed product but don't have any income from self-employment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

5 Replies
Jun 4, 2019 7:47:12 PM

In the Personal Info section of your return, you can enter "unemployed" under Occupation. If you received "unemployment compensation", enter that in the income section. You may be able to use Clear & Start Over to change your TurboTax product, if you were automatically put into the Self-Employed product but don't have any income from self-employment.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4248526

Apr 3, 2022 1:46:12 PM

Turbo tax will not allow me to change from self-employed even when I clear to start over. I am automatically put in last year's category.

Intuit Alumni
Apr 4, 2022 7:21:32 AM

After you use the clear and start over feature, try clearing  your browser's cache and deleting cookies and then attempt to file using the most suitable product for your current tax situation. If your issue persists, reply here and we will further assist @clarkjf3.

Feb 16, 2023 10:44:30 AM

I am about finished entering my information and just noticed I was automatically entered as self-employed. I am unemployed. Will it matter if I just leave it as it is? I really don't want to start entering everything all over again.

Expert Alumni
Feb 16, 2023 11:03:13 AM

Yes, you can leave it the way it is even though you have no self-employment income this year, but you will be charged for the more expensive product. Your return won't be incorrect, so that is not a problem.

If you want to return to the free version, you may need to review or re-enter some of your information. Here is how to do that:

1. Click on Tax Tools near the bottom of the left side menu.
  2. All the way at the bottom, select Switch to Free Edition.
  3. The next screen explains the program will keep most of your information, but you may need to re-enter some of it. 
  4. Once you confirm that is what you want to do, you will be taken back to the beginning of the return and you will need to review and possibly re-enter some of your information.