Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Feb 3, 2022 7:11:50 PM

e-file transmission error

Using the desktop edition of TurboTax Deluxe 2021.  Completed my federal return and one state return, no errors are indicated, and my software is up to date.  I get an error when I attempt to e-file, indicating "The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending."  It also indicates "- Tax Year 2021 transmissions are not available.  - TurboTax is not ready to process Tax Year 2021 for this return."

I typically file in early February.  Is there a delay this year?  What do these error messages mean?

3 139 17908
24 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Feb 4, 2022 8:36:59 AM

@kirok63

Thank you for sharing this experience.  We will need more information to assist further.  Are you getting any additional error messages with this?  At what point does this happen?  Please respond back here and someone will follow up with the next steps.  

Level 3
Feb 4, 2022 9:42:02 AM

Here is a pic of the full message I received.  This is happening a few seconds after I click the the "Transmit Returns Now" button.  Trying to file Federal Form 1040 and Rhode Island Form RI-1040.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 4, 2022 11:51:31 AM

What version of TurboTax are you using?  If you are using TurboTax Desktop Edition, please click here for assistance. If you are using TurboTax Online Edition, try to clear your cookies and cache. Assistance with doing so has been provided by clicking here.

Level 3
Feb 4, 2022 12:10:04 PM

I am using Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021, Desktop version, installed from a CD.  I attempted the manual update per the link provided, which failed:

I have applied all automatic updates to date.  "About TurboTax 2021" shows a WinPerRelease version # of [phone number removed].  Is this the correct current version? 

Level 3
Feb 4, 2022 12:12:42 PM

This shows the version #:

Level 3
Feb 4, 2022 12:13:41 PM

Intuit Alumni
Feb 4, 2022 12:44:02 PM

It is possible that one or more forms needed for e-filing are not ready yet. I've included the link for State forms availability  as well as the IRS forms availability link below. Please respond to this thread if you find that all forms are available for your return.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual ...

Level 1
Feb 4, 2022 12:58:13 PM

I'm having the same problem.

also from RI.

all of the forms I'm submitting are listed as available.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 4, 2022 1:47:43 PM

You may need to delete the form, re-add it and reenter your information. You can follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ on how to delete a form. You may also have to log out of the program, clear your cache and cookies, and log back in. Please see the TurboTax FAQ here for instructions on clearing your cache. See here for instructions on clearing your cookies. You may also try using another browser or using the phone app here if the above does not work. If none of these resolve the issue, contact customer support here for further assistance.

@robkarp

Level 3
Feb 4, 2022 2:19:56 PM

All required forms I need to file are available - IRS Form 1040, RI state forms RI-1040, RI Schedule W and RI Schedule E.   The link you provided on removing the form is for TurboTax Online.  As I said earlier, I am using TurboTax Desktop Edition.

Level 2
Feb 4, 2022 2:47:58 PM

I think there’s an issue with transmitting Rhode Island forms. I was having the same issue and got the exact message you did. I then e filed just the federal forms and it went through fine. I went back to try and e file Rhode Island again, and got the message again. 

Intuit Alumni
Feb 4, 2022 5:24:20 PM

Use this link here to contact Customer Support for further assistance. 

@kirok63

Level 3
Feb 4, 2022 6:16:46 PM

That's interesting.  I wonder if you can complete the RI e-filing after your federal return is accepted.

Level 2
Feb 4, 2022 7:04:32 PM

I tried e filing Rhode Island after the federal was accepted and got the same message again. 

turbo tax replied back to me on a separate post I had on this and they said  TurboTax is currently investigating and has escalated the matter.” 

Level 2
Feb 6, 2022 5:17:05 AM

I've got the same problem.  I was getting the exact same error message as you.

I tried filing them separately.   The fed and MA went off fine, RI produced the same error again.

I have no idea why?    I would have thought the turbotax software would have been intelligent enough to display the error for only the state that had the problem and to be more descriptive in the error message.

Giving a single grouped together error like this is like 1980's technology.

Level 3
Feb 6, 2022 6:25:58 AM

I saw this article, which acknowledges that the RI e-filing issues are a TurboTax issue.  It also specifies a forms availability date of February 3, but so far the problem is not resolved.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/why-[product key removed]d-have-a-late-file-start/00/2422472

Level 2
Feb 6, 2022 6:42:43 AM

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.  I found it annoying that the error message displayed didn't specifically specify the issue being with the state of RI filing.  It took googling to figure out I could transmit the FED and MA.  My refunds would have been delayed if I hadn't.  I would expect the software to have a more modern error message system.  They did so much right with turbotax, its a shame to see them fall on their face with an issue like this.  

Level 3
Feb 6, 2022 7:29:03 AM

Let's hope for a quick resolution.  RI's tax structure is relatively simple, which makes this issue all the more baffling.  Indications are that the correct forms aren't ready, yet they show as "available" on the TurboTax website.

None of the software apps I use, especially at work, provide error messages that are particularly robust.  My "favorite" one was something like "Error encountered: You encountered an error."  I swear this is true!

Feb 6, 2022 12:56:29 PM

Hello! Just updating on Sunday 2/6- RI state E-filing still not transmitting.

Returning Member
Feb 7, 2022 10:49:46 AM

I am getting the same problem  and see the  message "Tax Year 2021 transmissions are not available - TurboTax is not ready to process Tax Year 2021 for this return."  I also am attempting to file Federal together with Rhode Island returns.

Level 2
Feb 7, 2022 2:05:51 PM

RI will still not transmit.  I've used Turbo Tax for years and this is the first year I've had this problem.

If any Turbo Tax employees monitor this board, please comment. 

Is this a RI Gov problem or a Turbo Tax problem?   I can't tell, I only know I can't get my RI return to transmit.

Level 1
Feb 10, 2022 3:44:05 PM

Same problem with NC return. Is there not a way to submit Federal and Intuit/TurboTax submit the NC forms once ready? How do we submit them separately? It is highly unethical to push your promotion for Free filing with a deadline of Feb 15th but not have the issues resolved so people can actually transmit the returns. This is one of numerous posts on this issues going back over a week. Please advise!!!!

Feb 10, 2022 3:51:08 PM

I just tried to file, it doesn’t say why or what forms aren’t working, but I’m living in NC, I wish it would just go through

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 5:32:23 PM

I was able to successfully transmit RI today. I just got an email it was accepted.