Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:33:50 PM

Change married filing jointly to separate

0 10 9120
1 Best answer
Jun 12, 2019 1:19:35 PM

To update this in TurboTax:

1. With your return open, click the Personal Info tab
  2. On the second line of the "Personal info summary" page, your current filing status should be listed
  3. Click Edit on that line
  4. To file Married Filing Separately, first select Married
  5. When the next question shows, asking "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?", answer No.

10 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:33:51 PM

Can u still refile if you already submitted it

Jun 7, 2019 3:33:53 PM

how to import information from prior year return?

Jun 7, 2019 3:33:54 PM

change married filing jointly to separate

Level 15
Jun 12, 2019 1:19:33 PM

@dragonxmacho   You are adding a complex question to a 2 year old thread.  Please start your own new question in a new thread so someone can address your specific situation.

Jun 12, 2019 1:19:35 PM

To update this in TurboTax:

2. On the second line of the "Personal info summary" page, your current filing status should be listed
  4. To file Married Filing Separately, first select Married
  5. When the next question shows, asking "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?", answer No.

Level 15
Jun 12, 2019 1:19:37 PM

Did you transfer a Joint return over from 2015?  Then to change to separate you each should set up new accounts and not use the transferred info.

you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version      <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574</a>

Apr 2, 2022 10:26:12 AM

i trying change filling joinly to filling separate . it not let let start from begin to put my information in

Expert Alumni
Apr 2, 2022 10:41:45 AM

To change your filing status in TurboTax:  

4. To file Married Filing Separately, first, select Married

You should not have to start over but you will need to remove any information about your spouse.   

Keep in mind that if you file married filing separately means you will not get the Earned Income Credit, education credits, and other credits (exceptions are rare).    

Apr 8, 2022 4:07:25 PM

I followed the steps to change from Married Filing Separately, I did first, select Married.

When the next question shows, asking "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?", I answered No.  After I answered no it says I have to create a new account in order to do that! 

Do you have another solution? or is that the only solution?

Expert Alumni
Apr 8, 2022 5:45:23 PM

The only way to switch from married joint to married separate is to have a second TurboTax Online account. Please see this TurboTax Help article.

@mmanson