Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jan 9, 2020 12:22:01 PM

Can we use the same address

Can my ex and I use the same address when filing taxes if I’m filing HOH and he’s filing MFS? All his mail goes to my house “which was our house”. 

0 11 2070
11 Replies
Level 15
Jan 9, 2020 12:27:59 PM

If you are not legally married as of 12/31/2019 then you can file either as Single or Head of Household if you are eligible.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for HOH - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/family/help/do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household/01/25539

Can you both use the same address?  Yes

Can your ex spouse file as Married Filing Separately?  NO, if he has not remarried he can only file as Single

Level 15
Jan 9, 2020 12:28:01 PM

Yes.  Use whatever address you want the IRS to send any letters.

Level 2
Jan 9, 2020 12:38:21 PM

We are not “legally”divorced. Just separated. A lady from H&R told me to file as HOH and him file as MFS. 

Level 15
Jan 9, 2020 12:44:47 PM

@Macistevison  wrote:

We are not “legally”divorced. Just separated. A lady from H&R told me to file as HOH and him file as MFS. 

If you are legally married and living in the same home as your spouse, then you cannot file your tax return as Head of Household.  You can only file as either MFJ or MFS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing HOH when married - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/can-a-married-person-claim-head-of-household-filing-status/01/26366

Level 2
Jan 9, 2020 12:47:24 PM

We don’t live together. We are separated. He just still receives mail here. So i wanted to make sure he could put my address on his return. 

Level 15
Jan 9, 2020 12:48:46 PM

@Macistevison  wrote:

We don’t live together. We are separated. He just still receives mail here. So i wanted to make sure he could put my address on his return. 

Ok...In that case you will be fine using the same address and filing as HOH and your spouse filing as MFS.

Level 2
Jan 9, 2020 12:50:46 PM

Would the irs ask for his proof of residency? Or is the address more so just where he receives mail and not so much where he resides?

Level 15
Jan 9, 2020 12:54:06 PM

@Macistevison  wrote:

Would the irs ask for his proof of residency? Or is the address more so just where he receives mail and not so much where he resides?

Where he receives his mail.  Many people receive their mail at one address and actually live at another address.

Level 2
Jan 9, 2020 12:55:29 PM

That’s what I thought. I just wanted to make sure. Thankyou for your help i appreciate it!

Level 3
Dec 13, 2021 11:52:57 AM

Hi so im kinda in the same situation you were did everything work out for you by filing hoh and seperated husband mfs?

Expert Alumni
Dec 20, 2021 10:53:41 AM

To see whether you might qualify to claim as Head of Household, please see the following link:  Do I qualify for Head of Household in 2020?  Since you were legally married in 2021, here's a link that can assist you to determine if you are allowed to use this status:  Can a married person claim Head of Household filing status?