Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Sep 9, 2021 9:09:28 AM

Amended return

I amended my 2020 return due to unemployment. Through Turbo tax it showed I should get back 2300. The IRS refunded me 1200 and sent a letter that if I disagree to call them or they would assume I have accepted their amendment.  I’ve tried multiple times and cannot get a live person on the phone. Will they eventually look at my turbo tax amended return and pay me what I’m due??

0 3 277
3 Replies
Employee Tax Expert
Sep 9, 2021 10:13:45 AM

Hello sunraesmom,

I understand it can be frustrating waiting for a refund.  The IRS did not require an amended return be filed for the unemployment compensation exclusion.  The IRS is automatically adjusting those returns, and issuing the refunds.

The lower refund may be related to a different issue on your tax return, possibly a Recovery Rebate Credit on Form 1040 line 30.

I recommend you request a tax transcript from the IRS.  There are different types of transcripts, and you would want the Record of Account Transcript as it will reflect changes the IRS made to your originally filed return.  You can then see why the refund amount is less than expected.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

I hope you find this information useful!

Returning Member
Sep 9, 2021 10:19:36 AM

I do have a copy of the transcript. It shows my amended return received but it has not been reviewed. The money missing from their calculations is the EIC adjustment. Will they eventually look at the amended return now that they have made an internal adjustment and refund?? 

Employee Tax Expert
Sep 9, 2021 10:26:29 AM

Yes, it sounds like they have received your amended return, but have not processed the amended return.

Since you did receive a letter, check your letter if there is an address you can respond to.  Also this link will help you interpret the notice you received.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/irs/help/i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs/00/27100

I hope you find this information useful!