Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Sep 30, 2021 11:02:48 AM

Amended refund

My Amended Refund is shown. But it has been weeks, and if I go to the IRS Where's My Refund site it does not tell me anything. 

0 3 275
3 Replies
Level 15
Sep 30, 2021 11:05:07 AM

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Level 1
Sep 30, 2021 11:09:52 AM

So I just hold tight and it will eventually come in the mail? 

When I go trough that "Where in my amended return" page the response is always and only

"Your amended return information is currently unavailable in this application. It takes up to 3 weeks for an amended return to show on your account. You can generally expect your amended return to be processed within 16 weeks from the date we receive it. Check the date you filed your amended return and try again later."

Level 15
Sep 30, 2021 11:15:22 AM

They are still using that "16 weeks" message even though it is currently taking MUCH longer.  We have heard from people who waited nearly a year for the checks for their amended returns.