Your tax data file (.tax file) is not the same thing as a PDF copy of your return.
A .tax file can only be opened in the TurboTax CD/Download software to read and edit your return. And because it’s stored locally on your computer, we can't retrieve tax data files prepared in the TurboTax CD/Download software. E-filing doesn't keep a copy of your return on our servers.
How to find your tax data file
- Select the Start Menu and select search or use Cortana search if you're using Windows 10.
- Search for *.tax2018 (or whichever year you are searching for, *.tax2017,*.tax2016, etc.).
- Don't double-click the tax file in the search results to open it. This can cause errors.
- In the search results, copy the file's location or path. By default, TurboTax saves tax files in the My Documents TurboTaxfolder.
- After locating the path to the tax file on your computer, open your tax return using the same version of TurboTax for that year (for example, open your 2019 return in the TurboTax 2019 program, 2018 return in TurboTax 2018, etc.).
Lost or misplaced your CD or download? Review your replacement options.
If you can't find your file, it may have been saved under a different Windows account or to an external storage device. Repeat these instructions in your other account(s) or after plugging in your external storage device.