Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jul 21, 2021 10:39:41 AM

Someone claimed my dependent

My daughter,  who lived in California for the past 3+ yrs, claimed my granddaughter.  I've been the guardian of my granddaughter during this time. I tried to e-file my 2020 tax returns but was denied due to her claiming her. Followed the instructions and mailed a paper return. It's been since April and I haven't heard from the irs. I got my refund but now what? Never received any stimulus for her either. She's 5 if it makes a difference. 

0 2 399
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jul 21, 2021 10:43:21 AM

If there is a dispute over who is entitled to claim a dependent, the IRS has a process for resolving the dispute. Even in normal times, that takes a long time, and we're still not in normal times. Until the dispute is resolved, the IRS isn't going to pay you stimulus or advance child tax credit.

2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jul 21, 2021 10:43:21 AM

If there is a dispute over who is entitled to claim a dependent, the IRS has a process for resolving the dispute. Even in normal times, that takes a long time, and we're still not in normal times. Until the dispute is resolved, the IRS isn't going to pay you stimulus or advance child tax credit.

Level 1
Jul 21, 2021 11:06:29 AM

Ok. So just a waiting game. Thank you.