Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Feb 28, 2020 11:04:11 AM

Rental owner statement

My rental owner statement shows an expense for appliances; however, I am not sure where to enter the expense in turbo tax?  Am I able to deduct it?

0 1 172
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Feb 28, 2020 11:24:00 AM

Yes, if your property manager charged your account for an expense, that expense is deductible for purposes of reporting your income from the rental property.

You report the expense in the Income section Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E).  Click the "magnifying glass Search" icon on the top row, enter "rental expenses" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to rental expenses" link to access the Rentals questions.

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 28, 2020 11:24:00 AM

Yes, if your property manager charged your account for an expense, that expense is deductible for purposes of reporting your income from the rental property.

You report the expense in the Income section Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E).  Click the "magnifying glass Search" icon on the top row, enter "rental expenses" in the search window and press return or enter, and then click on the "Jump to rental expenses" link to access the Rentals questions.