Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Mar 1, 2021 6:07:38 AM

Itemized vs Standard Deduction

In 2019 TurboTax allowed me to itemize. In 2020 it now insists that I take the standard deduction (to my detriment) in spite of the numbers being near identical one year to the next. Has the tax code changed that much in one year? Thanks for any input.

0 2 243
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 1, 2021 8:22:41 AM

No, the tax law is basically the same in 2020 as in 2019. We can't see your tax return to see why TurboTax is choosing the Standard Deduction however, you can manually select Itemized Deductions. Keep in mind that switching to the other federal deduction may impact your state tax return.

Related information:

Level 1
Mar 4, 2021 4:51:49 AM

Thank you for the reply. I discovered an error in the mortgage interest deduction in that the T-T program did not automatically place it on the Schedule A. Wondering why, I discovered that there was a question during the interview asking for a declaration about how the loan was secured. Answering "yes" meant the loan was secured by the mortgaged property itself (likely the normal for most average filers) and the mortgage interest was properly deducted. That fixed things in my case. I do not recall from past filings needing to do this, but it is the case this year. I do believe the interview needs to make this delineation more obvious in future iterations of TurboTax. Thank you.