Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 14, 2020 3:59:45 PM

State Download is not working

Purchased the Deluxe program with 1 free state and every time I try and do my state taxes it says it needs to download. A window pops up says downloading, then program up to date, then I click on state and wants to download again. It's stuck on an endless cycle of download state.

2 30 15804
1 Best answer
Intuit Alumni
Feb 14, 2020 4:38:28 PM

Please check the updated link, State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta..., to see if it helps with your download issue. 

If you continue to have problems, please click on the Contact Us form https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/. We’ll help you connect with the right expert for your specific problem.

24 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Feb 14, 2020 4:38:28 PM

Please check the updated link, State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta..., to see if it helps with your download issue. 

If you continue to have problems, please click on the Contact Us form https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/. We’ll help you connect with the right expert for your specific problem.

Level 1
Feb 14, 2020 4:51:15 PM

Thank you for your help, that did the trick and now my blood pressure is back to normal :-).

Feb 23, 2020 1:09:49 PM

Which steps did you follow?  There is more than one course of action suggested;  which one 'did the trick' for you?  Thanks

Apr 14, 2020 8:22:39 AM

I have my Federal Taxes done and have been trying to download my state since last night. Nothing I do works and at this point I am very frustrated. I have Turbo Tax online version. My cell phone number is [phone number removed].

Returning Member
Apr 4, 2021 11:21:01 AM

I had the same problem. Endless loop. CA state wouldn't show up. Tried all the advice given online as well as the help of a tech support person over the phone. Nothing worked. I finally figured it out, though.

Here's my relevant backstory: In my case, (prior to encountering the endless loop problem) I had originally purchased the Deluxe version. Then I realized I needed the Home and Business version. So I uninstalled the Deluxe version using the TTax uninstaller. Then installed the Home and Business addition.  OK  so far. Then I put in all my info, OK so far. Then tried to download the state. No luck. Tried over and over, uninstalling and reinstalling TT, etc. 

Here's how I finally solved it. I looked in my C: > Program Files (x86) > TurboTax folder. There was my Deluxe version that I had already uninstalled, still there in addition to my Home and Business version. Aha! Defective TT uninstaller! So I looked in that Deluxe folder. The only thing there was the Forms folder. Looked in there, saw 2 folders: 1040_## and cai_##. CA stands for California. So, I figured that CAI folder must be the CA forms I need - even though I definitely did not download the CA state forms while using the Deluxe version. So I figured the defective uninstaller did not remove all the TT Deluxe info from the registry, so the installer for the state forms saw TT Deluxe info in the registry so it put the CA forms there by mistake (even though I was using the Home and Business edition to download the state forms). So I copied that cai_## folder to the Home and Business > Forms folder, restarted TT H&B and it worked! There was TTax telling me that I owe money to CA. Sigh. At least not as much as I was expecting. Yay?

Level 2
Feb 19, 2022 2:22:06 PM

2/19/2022: I just spent 9 hours on TT Home & Business 2021. But solved problems not recognizing two states (NY free, CA paid), and not allowing electronic submission of returns to IRS, NY, or CA. Solution was to entirely delete TT Home & Business 2021 from my Windows 10 PC; then double-click on the original paid download (after paying for it Dec. 2021, I had saved it in my DOWNLOAD Folder as "TurboTax_Home_Business_2021_PC_Download" exe), BUT MAKE SURE to save it IN THE ORIGINAL Download Folder and location. This is essential. Don't let it save in the newer Individual 2021 Folder (if you've unsuccessfully been trying other options). That solved the "The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty ... (and) FAILED VALIDATION ... " errors, which just kept me going in a circle for hours.

Level 1
Feb 20, 2022 1:31:58 PM

I have the same issue in 2022 as WYTSTANG in 2020.  Purchased Premier 2021 with 1 free state and am caught in the endless cycle of downloading the free state but when I hit start, a window pops up to start the purchase confirmation and download again.  

Intuit Alumni
Feb 20, 2022 2:12:44 PM

Are you filing your state return by mail or by e-file? @drakemarka

Level 1
Feb 20, 2022 2:33:39 PM

E-file but am unable to even start the state return.  

Intuit Alumni
Feb 20, 2022 3:41:04 PM

Please try the resolution provided in the below TurboTax help article.  Please comment back if it does not fix the issue.

State install/e-file update loop: State not installed after installation or TurboTax needs to update prior to e-file

@drakemarka

Returning Member
Feb 23, 2022 10:44:40 AM

I have tried all of the resolutions in the TurboTax help articles and none of them work.   Still get an endless loop attempting to download my free state.  What else can I do?

Intuit Alumni
Feb 23, 2022 11:23:01 AM

You may reach out to support via phone; contact details can be found here @straitline.

Level 2
Feb 28, 2022 3:50:48 PM

Go to menu at the top – online – updater preferences – turn off auto update.  The program was obviously updating instead of downloading.

Returning Member
Mar 2, 2022 4:05:06 PM

Same here!  Purchased CA and CO with ID as free return.  Cannot open any of them.

Returning Member
Mar 2, 2022 4:25:23 PM

Turned out TN did away with their state interest and dividend Hall tax in 2021 so I do not need to download a state tax any more.  TurboTax should stop asking to download a TN tax form.

Mar 5, 2022 12:40:27 PM

Is there one for 2021?

this clean up is for 2020 and I'm having this issue with TT Business 2021

Returning Member
Mar 6, 2022 8:23:11 AM

This is for TT Home and Business 2021.  I prepared and e-filed federal, ID and CO for my daughter.  All were accepted wit no issues.  Then because of computer problems, I had to uninstall and reinstall TT 2021 Home and Business.  Now I no longer have the Colorado return.  I even paid for it even though it was supposed to be a free return and I still cannot finish my own return because I need Colorado.  I cannot even open the fedderal return.  So TT has been absolutely no help.

Intuit Alumni
Mar 6, 2022 2:34:25 PM

@socalchef00
@jcl9625

Please see the Help Article here for further assistance with this experience. 

In addition, for troubleshooting installation and running TurboTax for Windows, please see this Help Article

If this does not work for you, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

Level 2
Mar 10, 2022 3:47:06 PM

The https://digitalasset.intuit.com/DOCUMENT/A2cXEOjjV/TTCleanStates_TY20.zip does NOT work for the 2021 TT Premier. It did wipe out the 2020 TT Premier state, so 2020 TT wanted me to pay $45 to re-download for 2020 TT.

When TTCleanStates.exe opens it shows 2020 only.

Has anyone resolved the 2021 TT state issue? It shows as the state as downloaded, but when you try to start the state it goes back to download again.

Intuit Alumni
Mar 10, 2022 5:13:40 PM

Please see this thread with a work around provided by the last person who posted a comment. If that work around doesn't work for you, please contact us at customer support so we can further assist you.

@NotAHappyUser

Level 2
Mar 10, 2022 5:38:55 PM

After uninstalling, rebooting and re-installing 3 times, I tried something different.

1. I performed a system restore from a point before the TT install.

2. I installed 2021 TT Premier as administrator and exited without starting TT.

3. I re-started TT as administrator and let it update, then exited again.

4. Re-started TT as administrator, started a NEW return and did NOT import last years info.

5. Skipped to the state return and saw my AZ state was already there. Clicked on start state return and it worked!!

Hope this works for others. This is the first year I've had this issue and the first year I used the online download for NewEgg TurboTax Premier. Normally I get the retail CD.

Level 2
Mar 11, 2022 12:15:54 PM

I had a problem with State not downloading.  I went to download, but it would update instead of downloading. TurboTax was obviously stuck in an update loop.  I turned off the auto update in the menu at the top.  That worked for me.

Mar 20, 2022 4:12:27 PM

Tried all recommended ways, but state tax is still in a loop.

1. Ran state cleanup too

2. reinstalled in default location 

3. ran in selective startup 

uninstalled and reinstalled each time.

No success. State tax portion does not work.

Cant find a way to talk to intuit support. Keeps looping me to this suggestion which is not working for me.

What do I do next?

Returning Member
Mar 20, 2022 6:05:07 PM

I messaged Turbo Tax through their fb page and finally got the problem solved.  I would send the exact message you sent me to them through fb.  After I tried everything you tried without success, they gave me a case number and web address to download the states again.  Good luck.  Let me know if this works for you.