Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Feb 5, 2021 6:30:42 PM

Rent cercificate

If I uploaded a picture from my phone of my rent certificate and uploaded it to documents on turbo tax will it go to irs along with my return?? I have to send my certificate in to the irs to get my homestead credit. But will it automatically go in since its uploaded to my documents  in turbo  tax

0 3 619
3 Replies
Level 15
Feb 5, 2021 8:05:44 PM

No it will not automatically go anywhere from the My Docs,   You are not sending anything about rent to the IRS.  If you are sending any information about your  rent it is going to be on your state return.   You will key in the information---you cannot "upload" a rent certificate to a tax return,

RENT

There is not a rent deduction or credit on your Federal return.  If your state has anything for renters you will be prompted to enter your rent info when you complete your state return.  As far as I know, the states that have anything for rent are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington DC, and Wisconsin.

https://www.rent.com/blog/states-with-a-renters-tax-credit/

Returning Member
Feb 5, 2021 10:21:54 PM

I've already filed it said to attach later but I cant figure out how to do it on turbo. I thought if i uploaded to my docs i could attach it to my state return 

Level 15
Feb 6, 2021 6:33:52 AM

What state?   Some states such as MN require you to send it in the mail.  You cannot "attach" documents to an e-filed return,