Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Apr 4, 2020 10:11:02 AM

Attach another state's return to efiled state return

To get credit for taxes paid in another state, Minnesota requires a copy of the tax return filed with the other state.  If I efile in that state, will TurboTax automatically attach a copy to my efiled Minnesota return?  If I file on paper in the second state, can I attach a copy of that return to my efiled Minnesota return?  

0 5 1312
5 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 4, 2020 11:03:54 AM

Yes, you can file up to 5 states in TurboTax Online. If you are paper filing the other state, however, you will not be able to attach the other state return to your e-filed Minnesota return. 

That may be different if the other state was Michigan or North Dakota in your case: What is a state reciprocal agreement?

To change from paper filing to e-filing:

For TurboTax Online: How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online

For TurboTax CD/Download: How do I change from mail to e-file in the TurboTax CD/Download

Otherwise, for filing a paper return, see: 

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

How do I print and mail a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?

How do I paper-file in the TurboTax for Mac CD/Download software?

@jcircus

Returning Member
Apr 4, 2020 12:32:38 PM

If I efile both the Minnesota and the other state--Colorado--returns, will TurboTax attach a copy of the Colorado return to the Minnesota return?  (Minnesota requires this to get credit for the Colorado tax.)

Expert Alumni
Apr 4, 2020 2:19:36 PM

Yes, TurboTax will file what is required to each state.

@jcircus

Mar 19, 2021 7:36:15 AM

For 2019returens, I filed Fed, MA and DE tax returns on Turbo Tax. DE needed to see a copy of the MA one. There was no way to attach the file and Turbo Tax did not send the MA one to DE even though it was required. I  have the same situation this year. What is the status? Will Turbo Tax provide the MA tax return to DE? Is there somewhere where I need to check to tell it to do this step?

Expert Alumni
Mar 19, 2021 3:19:36 PM

You can efile. When you file in more than one state, TurboTax includes all necessary copies in the efile.

All returns are included in the e-file package to each state.  All of the information necessary is  provided in the efile package..