Unearned income can be thought of as "passive" income that doesn't involve active work or a business activity, such as:
- Interest, dividend, or investment income
- Retirement or Social Security income
- Alimony or child support
- Unemployment or worker's comp
- Gifts, prizes, awards, or winnings
- Income received while incarcerated, even if it involves active work
- What is earned income?
- What are the qualifications for the Earned Income Credit (EIC or EITC)?
- Can I qualify for the Earned Income Credit if I didn't work, was unemployed, or am not required to file a return?
- What is the 2019 Kiddie Tax?
- What is a qualifying child for the Earned Income Credit (EIC) in 2019?