Level 15
This widget could not be displayed.

Retirement tax questions

If the withdrawal occurred in 2018 then you should have received a Form 1099-R from the investment company for the withdrawal.  The 1099-R is entered on your tax return as received on your 2018 tax return.

If the withdrawal occurred in 2019 then the investment company will send you a Form 1099-R in January of 2020 so you can report the withdrawal on your 2019 tax return.


IRS Form 1099-R - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099r.pdf


To enter, edit or delete a form 1099-R -

  • Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R