dm27598

If I withdrew money from 401k because of being on disability and losing my job do I have to pay taxes on it?

Retirement tax questions

You still have to pay the tax on it.  But you probably can avoid any early withdrawal penalty on it.
dm27598

Retirement tax questions

I was on Long Term Disability for over 12 months, but am back to work now. Would I still qualify for early withdrawal penalty?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

{added 3-15-17} Please refer to the IRS definition of disability. 

That could qualify as an exception to the penalty.

According to the IRS:

"There are several exceptions to the age 59 1/2 rule. Even if you receive a distribution before you are age 591 2, you may not have to pay the 10% additional tax if you are in one of the following situations.

You are totally and permanently disabled.

Disabled. If you become disabled before you reach age 59 1/2, any distributions from your traditional IRA (or 401k) because of your disability are not subject to the 10% additional tax. You are considered disabled if you can furnish proof that you cannot do any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition . A physician must determine that your condition can be expected to result in death or to be of long, continued, and indefinite duration."

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-tax-on-early-distri...