Retirement tax questions

There have been a number of reported issues between many brokerage firms' statements and numerous tax preparation software systems this year. The "word on the street", so to speak, is that they are aiming for some form of reconciliation of this issue by mid-March. My assumption, and only that given experience, is that since March 15th is Corp Tax Due Date that they are hoping to get this resolved before then. Frustrating, I am sure. 

I have only one suggestion for you given that the IRS really only cares about S/T gains/<losses> and L/T gains/<losses>.....separate out the ones with "various" as purchase date (assuming this is where you have the various as it is rare to have "various" tagged as the sale date), and just be sure to select a purchase date that makes it fall into the correct category. Fill out the 8949 and just double check to make sure that everything flows properly to the Schedule D. ALSO, remember that upon notification of acceptance of return by the IRS, you have three days with which to mail your brokerage statement(s), Copy of 8949, and Copy of Schedule D to the IRS (whichever location is your mailing site). 

BE SURE OF 2 THINGS: 

1.  Sign and date each document (last page of brokerage stmt. should suffice), AND

2.  Mail out "Certified/Return Receipt Requested" as this will be your proof of mailing date as well as receipt from the IRS that they have

received your documents. The "green card" that you will fill out and affix to your package is what the IRS Agent will sign and mail

back to you.