New Member

I need to amend my 2018 return to show that I am retired. My retirement was taxed erroneously. How do I do that?

I did not select retired on my 2018 tax form and my retirement was taxed.  How do I amend that?
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

There is no option on a tax return to select retired.  The occupation field on a tax return is for statistical purposes only and has no bearing on your tax return.

Retirement income is taxable income and is reported on your tax return using Form 1099-R.  The amount entered in box 2 is the taxable amount of your retirement income.


If you receive Social Security benefits, those benefits can be taxable if you have other income to report on your tax return.

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

  • Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0


Level 15

Retirement tax questions


Some additional information:  There are 13 states that tax Social Security—Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, and West Virginia.  These states offer varying degrees of income exemptions, but four mirror the federal tax schedule: MN, ND,VT, and WV

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**