momomoney
Returning Member

Mistakenly Contributed into Roth IRA, Called Vanguard to rech to traditional, which resulted in additional tax.

Hi, 

I've contacted multiple agent through TT however this complicated problem is not fully resolved. I hope this forum can shed some light on my case 🙂 

Timeline of events:

• 2017: First year me and my wife both contributed $5.5K through Vanguard, into Traditional, then immediately rolled over to Roth. No issue there
  • 2018: We mistakenly each put post tax money of $5.5K into Roth directly. Our income level (high) does not allow us to directly contribute. We screwed up.
  • 2019: Similar to 2018, screwed up again, this time $6K each. 
  • In April, 2019, I realized the mistakes we made in 2018/2019, so I called Vanguard. They told me they'd do a recharacterization. Essentially, they moved the 2018/2019 Roth money to Traditional and then did a backdoor conversion into Roth. 
  • In my 2019 return, I see three1099-R forms from Vanguard. 
    1. From Roth 1099-R: ~$6200 with code N (contribution in 2019, recharacterized in 2019)
    2. From Roth 1099-R: ~$6100 with code R (contribution in 2018, recharacterized in 2019)
    3. From Traditional 1099-R: ~$13000 with code 2 (early distribution) 
  • Apparently the system believes that I contributed more to Traditional than I'm allowed. So I'm taxed again for ~$7000 ($13000 - $6000) at the highest tax bracket (same applies to my wife).
  • I funded everything to Vanguard through my checking account which is post-tax already
  • It looks like the $13000 is the screwup. It looks like a 2 year contribution lump sum. Did Vanguard make a mistake here by not separating them out?

I tried to input in turbotax in different ways, talking with TT agents, but couldn't sort this issue out. In reality I know the money shouldn't be taxed as my income twice but I just can't sort this out. I may owe some capital gain tax because the money stayed in Roth for a while - that's the cost for this lesson learned. 

I know this is a very unique case but I'd appreciate any insights