Investors & landlords

I agree with everything you wrote. It is true that this Asset Worksheet is part of the internal worksheets that don't get sent to the IRS with your official tax return.

However, at least for me on the desktop version of TurboTax 2020 Premier Edition, choosing to ignore any errors will not allow me to eventually file the tax return. The program does allow you to choose to skip the error validation and correction process, but once you are in the very last screen (where you click a button to transmit the tax return) the program will once again remind you about this and any other errors, and won't allow you to file before you fix all of them. It's true that you can just choose an incorrect value on that internal worksheet, but I worry that it might affect something in the future, such as if I choose to sell the rental property.

However, my workaround of just deleting the depreciation section and redoing it (while first writing down the property's characteristics) does seem to be working. This, by the way, seems to be a common solution to many issues in TurboTax, where deleting and redoing a certain section often gets rid of problems, whereas trying to simply editing that section won't clear the problem.