How do i enter CA real estate withholding?

I live and file in CA.  I sold a rental house and 3% was withheld for Franchise Tax Board Real Estate Withholding by the escrow company.  I have not received a Form 592-B or Form 593.  Where and how do I enter the amount withheld? 

ToddL

Deductions & credits

Enter the amount withheld in the "Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099" interview.

This interview is found under Federal Taxes > Deductions and Credits > Other Income Taxes > Other Income Taxes paid in 2016.

See the attached screenshot to see what the entry screen will look like.

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

I think this is out dated.  THis is required by the state and needs to placed somewhere

Deductions & credits

The info is not outdated ... the  state withholding is entered in the federal section and will be carried to the state automatically.  

Look in the Deductions & Credits section ...  

1b.jpg1c.jpg

hsinlunglo
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

With real estate we can not do efile with California? 

Deductions & credits

We solved the problem with some advise from TurboTax, we did use efile and the returns are complete and accepted.

Deductions & credits

I am getting the same message from TurboTax that because when I sold the property the escrow company just withheld 3.33% of the sale.  Can I efile if I did not get a form 523 or whatever it is that lists real estate witholdings?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Yes, you can e-file and you can enter the amount of tax withheld as long as you know the dollar amount.

Here is how to enter it:

1. Select Federal, then Deductions and Credits.
  2. Scroll down/ expand the list and find Estimates and Other Taxes Paid.
  3. Select Other Income Taxes.
  4. Scroll and select Withholding not already entered on W-2 or 1099.
  5. Answer the question Yes and Continue.
  6. Enter your federal tax withheld and/ or select a state and enter state tax withheld.

Make sure you know what type of tax was withheld, this is for income taxes only. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"