DISABLED CHILD So sorry to hear about your child's...
Level 15

Deductions & credits


So sorry to hear about your child's health problems.  There is not any extra tax benefit or deduction to saying that a child under age 13 is disabled on your Federal return.  If you have a disabled child over 12 and need to pay for childcare so you can work, saying the child is disabled can enable you to claim the childcare credit.  Or if the child is 19 or older, you can still claim the disabled child as your dependent.  Otherwise, it does not benefit you to claim that your child is disabled.  Your state tax laws may be different.

Of course, any medical expenses you are paying out of pocket should be entered in Medical Expenses in case you have met the threshold for claiming medical expenses as a deduction.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings