pk
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

@tanyamedukha , generally confused  but also agreeing with my colleagues @DaveF1006 , @MarilynG1  and @Vanessa A .   

If I assume that you are a US person ( citizen/GreenCard)  , single  and having left the USA  on  05/xx/2023 with a self-employed foreign income of US$60,813 and ignoring any US income for this discussion

(a) you will not meet the  Physical Presence Test  ( on form 2555 ) till  after  05/xx+2/2024.  This assumes that    host country is  in Europe  ( leaving US , taking an overnight flight, arriving next morning and the first full day  in that country  being  2 days later.  Thus the test period  of continuous  is 05/xx+2/2023  till 05/XX+1/2024.

(b)  only foreign earned income during  05/xx+2/2023 till 12/31/2023 are eligible for  Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. 

(c) I am assuming  here that  you entered the Foreign Income  using Schedule-C  ( because it is self-employment)    and then make sure " Foreign Earned Income  Exclusion"  is worked on p--- TubroTax  should automatically import the schedule-C income as foreign earned income for purposes of form 2555

(d)   Schedule-C income would have triggered a Schedule-SE fill -- you don't have to do anything on  and also enter 1/2 of SECA income as an adjustment  on form 1040.

(e)  thereafter you can enter any US income .

Is this what you did  or ?

Note that even though the foreign income is excluded from US taxes, the tax bracket  on any non-excluded income ( foreign or US  sourced ) is based on your world income without regard to exclusion -- thus pushing you into a higher marginal rate.

Does this make sense ?   or am I in total left field

By the way which country   are you in ?

pk