Deductions & credits

I wondered about that apparently there is a narrow exception...from what I've been reading:

Knowledge Base Solution - Will charitable contributions carryover when using the standard deduction ...

1) if you used Std Deduction last year, you lose any possible charitable carryover from year(s) prior to that.

But, you are itemizing this year. 

2)  So you "Might" be able to use a charitable carryover from just last year's donations....but only the $$ that "would have" carried over , IF you had used itemized deductions last year  (with no other prior carryovers allowed)

[Following edited significantly 6 Jan 2024}

3)    If ALL donations for 2022 were cash, check, CCD $$, and only made to so-called 50% charities, then the $$ amount that exceeded  60% of your 2022 AGI can be used this year (2023) as a cash carryover $$ amount.   So the initial thing to check is this...did the value of your 2022 cash donations last year, exceed 60% of your 2022 AGI (line 11 of your 2022  Form 1040....NOT line 15). 

4)  However....If some of the donation total value was from donated stock, securities, or "items" (clothing, cars, appliances etc) or if any of the $$ went to donor advised funds or to so-called 30% charities ( there are even some 20% orgs)...then there could be carryover at lower levels...BUT the calculation of the possible carryover amounts would be too complicated to describe.  It could be calculated in the 2022 desktop software, by using a second copy of your 2022 taxes, and forcing "itemized" deductions...and seeing what the carryover would-have been for each donation %-limited type.

... AND you'd better have good records of the 2022 donations and the 2022 carryover calculation worksheet.

____

But I'm not an expert in this...only what I've read in the reference above (and it's a couple year old)....and several other google search results that "seemed" reputable.   And maybe you already decided not to bother.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*