Deductions & credits

They refused the child tax credit and the stimulus so there is actually $2800 involved. The IRS documentation says that if you requested the SSN before the extension deadline (June 15 in this case) then it still qualifies.  The October extension doesn't seem relevant in this case.  Is there an alternative to filing an amended return? A phone call? The form 12203? We still have not received the actual notice even though they say it is dated Aug 29.  I don't know how much time we have to dispute it.  Actually it is the $3600 CTC and the $1400 stimulus on the 2021 return for a total of $5000 that you have been shorted.  And you may have requested the SS# before 6/15 however it was not issued by then  AND  the IRS did not know you were overseas AND they did not know you filed an extension  so your ONLY option will be to file an appeal ... https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f12203a.pdf   You can try to call however I doubt you will get thru to anyone at the IRS.  You could try the taxpayer advocate office by filing a form 944.

We also filed an amended 2020 return, but I now realize this was wrong after reading the IRS fine print; The information on Turbo Tax made it sound like that was legitimate. What should we do about that?  File another 2020 amended return going back to the original? The amended return is still in process.  There is nothing to do about the 2020 return ... the one you filed  will simply be denied.