RaifH
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If you are eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit, you should receive a tax credit for up to 20% of your Box 1 Tuition Expenses with the credit never being greater than $2,000. Please note that if your filing status is married filing separately, you are not eligible for this credit. You are also not eligible if your income exceeds $139,000 if married filing jointly and $69,000 for other filing statuses. If this is the case, then you do not need to enter any education information on your tax return.  

I am unable to re-create a scenario in which entering the tuition expenses is increasing the tax due. Please follow these steps to enter the tuition expense and let me know if it is causing a decrease in your tax refund or an increase in your tax due:

1. Open or continue your return
  2. Select Search and search for 1098t 
  3. Select the Jump to link in the search results
  4. Delete the information you already have in there and click Add a Student
  5. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1098-T for the year? and Continue
  6. On the next screen, you can choose how you'd like to add your 1098-T. You can upload a digital copy from your computer or type it in yourself. Select which option you'd like and Continue
  7. After entering the information from the 1098-T you will navigate through several more questions. 
  8. When you click Maximize My Education Tax Break, TurboTax should determine you are eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit if you are under the gross income limitation.

@lilianna1342