My son is 17 and I didn’t receive a check for him. He turns 18 Aug 12, 2021. He is still in high school and will not graduate until May 2022

Destiny_Y_JD
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

As far as the advanced child tax credit. if you have a 17-year-old that turns 18 before December 31, 2021 then you would receive $500 total for that dependent instead of the larger $3000. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

When will I receive the 500.00?

Deductions & credits

@Shevonboston81 wrote:

When will I receive the 500.00?

The Other Dependent tax credit of $500 is included in your federal tax refund.

Deductions & credits

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Deductions & credits

"As far as the advanced child tax credit. if you have a 17-year-old that turns 18 before December 31, 2021 then you would receive $500 total"  is a misstatement.   Your child is not eligible for any ADVANCED  payment.  That answer just means he is only eligible for the $500 "other dependent" credit, which will not receive until you file your 2021 tax return next year.  He is too old for any child tax credit.