Why am I receiving less than what is calculated for the advance child tax credit? I have five children, ages 14, 11, 7, 6, and 3 by year's end. What can I do to correct?

From my own calculations as well as double-checking with the child tax credit calculators, I am receiving $50 less per monthly payment. It seems that my payment is calculating all of my children to be older than 6. How can I fix this?

Deductions & credits

You cannot in advance but this will be reconciled on the 2021 return.  

This is a brand new system thrown together by the IRS after Congress changed tax laws in the middle of the tax season.  There are going to be bugs, glitches and mistakes made and folks will unfortunately have to be patient until they sort it out.  

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

Any child who will be six years old before 2021 ends gets $250 per month--not $300----you say you have a six year old.   Only the 3 year old can get $300 per month.

A1. For tax year 2021, the Child Tax Credit is increased from $2,000 per qualifying child to:

• $3,600 for children ages 5 and under at the end of 2021; and
  • $3,000 for children ages 6 through 17 at the end of 2021.

Note: The $500 nonrefundable Credit for Other Dependents amount has not changed. For more information about the Credit for Other Dependents, see IRS Publication 972, Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other Dependents PDF.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**