Do I qualify for the child care credit if my husband and i were both working full time with our kids in daycare?

When i am trying to add the credit it says only for full time students or disabled
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Did you enter both of your Forms W-2 and did you make sure that they were not both credited to the same person? If one of you filed a Schedule C, any loss would affect the income on which the credit is based.

Deductions & credits

Both W2s have been entered. Nobody to filed a schedule C. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

One requirement to claim a child care credit is that both spouses have to work. If you have child care benefits at work, that can limit your ability to take a child care credit. It can be limited by the age of your children as well, they have to be under the age of 17.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Without more specifics, it's hard to determine what the issue may be. I hope the link below helps.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/the-ins-and-outs-of-the-child-and-dependent-care-tax-cre....

Take a close look at the paragraph under "Care You Can Claim".

Thanks!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

"Both W2s have been entered. " - What Coleen said is that each of you has to have a W-2 or other earned income.

Unfortunately, it is all too common for taxpayers to accidentally enter both W-2s under the same taxpayer (it's a small check box on the first W-2 screen that asks you to check which spouse this W-2 belongs to). TurboTax cannot go by the name on the W-2 since this can vary.

Please double-check your W-2s.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

I would delete all the W2s and re enter them paying close attention to pick the right person for each one.