Deductions & credits

@DenverDad wrote:

First, Line 30 on my 2020 return has $1200 entered.

Second, I was unable to access my 2019 return by following your instructions.  However, I did print my return last year and where line 30 is supposed to be it says, "Lines 27 through 32 are reserved for future use.  No Line 30 anywhere. 

I use standard deductions per TurboTax's suggestion.  Would that make a difference?

The 2019 was a typo and should have been 2020 (corrected)

There was no credit for a stimulus payment in tax year 2019.

The credit of $1,200 would seen to indicate that you entered $1,200 for EIP1 instead of $2,400.

You will have to wait for the IRS to either accept or reject your tax return on or after 02/12/2021.  If rejected you can correct the error and e-file again.

If accepted then you will have to wait for the IRS to process your tax return and the tax refund.  If the IRS does not adjust your tax return for the credit, then you will receive the $1,200 as a tax refund.  Once the refund is received you will need to amend the tax return to correct the error and pay back the $1,200.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

View solution in original post